A 'Rogues' gallery of how things should NOT be done, and some horrors found in old houses.
Two for the price of one...
Not only incorrectly wired...
..but also the loose terminals have lead to overheat...
Don't try this at home
A cable extension for a new socket, missing the 'earth' connection on the socket side.
..when junction boxes were allowed under floor, they were taped over if they got broken. This one must be 40 years old.
This old VIR cable has been trapped between a joist and a floorboard. The dangers are self explanatory.
Loose terminals starting to get hot
Time for a clean up?
..and an upgrade to a new fuseboard perhaps
Badly installed and damaged cables.
Leave it loose...
..very dangerous cooker connection.
Just a mess
What else needs to be said?
Permanent live not connected to the isolator could be a shock for someone thinking it's properly isolated.
Not bothered to do this neatly or properly.
Exposed live conductors
Some lighting cables with exposed conductors
Old rubber cables have just about had it by now, this was still in use in this state
Appliance testing anyone?
Faulty toaster started this kitchen fire, appliance testing may have prevented it.
No outer insulation...
...just a pair of wires fitted into the socket, not a proper cable.